Medical and scientific advances have increased the range of orthodontic treatments available to adults. It’s a common misconception that only children need braces or orthodontic treatment. At the Dental Specialists Turramurra, Dr Kamini Titus and the team have had the pleasure of helping countless adults achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they’ve always dreamed of.
Why do adults seek orthodontic treatment?
- Bad bite or malocclusion
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
- Crowded or spaced teeth leading to gum disease
- Jaw pain or pressure that is caused by crooked teeth
Treatment options for adults
Many adults avoid the need for orthodontic treatment due to perceptions of inconvenience and appearance. Orthodontic advancements over past years have now afforded adults a range of discreet orthodontic options. Treatment options we offer to our adult patients at Dental Specialists Turramurra include:
- Clear braces
- “Invisible” Invisalign Treatment
- Traditional metal braces
The difference between children, teen and adult orthodontics
The main difference to remember when treating adults or children and teens, is that in younger patients the jawbones are still developing. For adults, these bones have stopped growing, which may limit the possibility of orthognathic surgery to align the jawbones. Other differences include:
- Gum or bone loss (periodontal disease) —Adults are more likely than children to experience gum recession or even bone loss due to gingivitis or advanced periodontal disease. Patients with straighter teeth are less likely to get gum disease.
- Worn or missing teeth —Over time teeth can become worn down and shift into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift and tilt, creating a bad bite and increasing the possibility of gum disease.
- Incomplete orthodontic treatment as a teen —Many adults received some orthodontic treatment as a child or teen but never completed their treatment. As an adult, they choose to complete their orthodontic treatment to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Our practice also recognises that adults and children have different needs and require a different level of attention and care. We will work with you to ensure that you receive the most appropriate treatments and that your needs are met with understanding and respect from us.
Why should you consider orthodontic treatment?
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth —Teeth that are properly aligned are easier to keep clean with flossing and brushing and may help prevent other health problems.
- A beautiful, straight smile builds confidence —Orthodontic treatment can help boost your self-confidence, giving you a better quality of life and the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Mouths left untreated can get worse —Not receiving orthodontic treatment when it’s needed can create long-term health issues costing you more in the end.
Orthodontist for Adults Turramurra
To learn more about the benefits of adult orthodontics, please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We understand that you have a busy schedule, and we will work with you to make sure each office visit is as convenient as possible.